Trudy Maples of Cooking with Trudy has easy and fun summer recipes.
Fresh Easy Corn on the Cob using the microwave and or the grill and topping with Seasoned Butter
Using the Microwave:
1. Place one ear of unshucked corn in the microwave for 4 minutes each.
2. Take the corn out of the microwave using an oven mitt.
3. Place on a cutting board and cut the bottom end off (opposite of the pointed end) about one inch.
4. Hold the pointed end and the corn will slide out clean, cooked and ready to eat.
Using the Grill
1. Pull the husk back on the ear of corn and clean the inside silks off using a silicone oven mitt.
2. Pull the husk back up around the corn cob and place on a medium heated grill for about 8 to 10 minutes.
3. The corn will steam inside the husk while on the grill, if you want grill marks on the corn, pull husk back after it is cooked and place right on grill for two or so minutes.
4. Once the corn is done, pull the husk back and use to hold on as you spread on the herbed butter.
You can use any seasonings you prefer and it is 2 tsp of the seasoning per one stick of real butter. Bring the butter to room temperature so that it is easy to mix with the seasoning.
Ideas for seasoning:
pressed fresh garlic
fresh lime zest
fresh grated parmesan cheese
crushed red peppers
Zesty Pasta and Veggie Salad with a Balsamic Glaze Dressing
Zesty Pasta and Veggie Salad
Angel hair pasta, 8 oz - cooked and drained with a little bit of olive oil tossed into it, chilled
1 cup sweet cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped black olives
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup diced red bell peppers
3 diced green onions
Balsamic Glaze Dressing
Package dry Italian Seasoning
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
2 fresh garlic cloves pressed
Whisk until thick
Place all ingredients into a bowl and toss in the dressing, chill for 30 minutes.
Refreshing Cherry Lime Mojitos
1 pound fresh or frozen pitted cherries
1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
1/3 cup fresh lime juice - about 3 limes
1 cup citrus flavored rum - use citrus soda if making non-alcoholic and don't use simple syrup, just lime juice
the soda is sweet enough, I use Sprite
1 cup lime simple syrup
lime wedges and cherries, for garnish
Mix together and pour over ice or use blender if desired
Lime Simple Syrup
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
3 limes, zested
In a small sauce pan, combine sugar, water and lime zest over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and cool. Strain before using.
Book private parties/events with us, and check out upcoming cooking classes including kids' cooking classes in July and Date Night Cooking with your Lover classes.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.