Get crafty and make a Halloween ghost and monster mum centerpiece this season.
I designed this Halloween craft project that will take back to kindergarten. You remember dipping fabric into watery glue and making people don’t you? Well you have come full circle with this one.
It is so simple yet so very, very clever. Make them big or small or both!
Fabric stiffener ( I used Stiffy by Plaid)
Splat mat (I highly recommend you get one of these! They are great for many reasons )
Black felt for eyes and mouth
Small terra cotta pot
Styrofoam (1 to fit snuggly inside the pot and 1 large for the head and 2 small for the arms.)
1. Make a form for your ghost. This is how I made mine but you can come up with your own idea too. Insert the large Styrofoam ball into the pot. Insert the dowel into the Styrofoam and add the head to the top.
2. Insert dowels into the Styrofoam for the arms. Wrap plastic wrap around the Styrofoam so that the cheesecloth won’t stick.
3. Cut a piece of cheesecloth making sure it is big enough to drape over the form.
4. Set the pot on the mat in a place where you can leave it over night.
5. Saturate the cloth with Stiffy and drape over your form. Mold it and shape it the way you like it. Let dry.
6. Once dry pull out the form and cut round eyes and a mouth. Glue it to your ghost.
Find out more!
Designed by Dondi Richardson
STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
+Balls: Two - 3”
Halloween Gift Boxes or take-out containers
Large Silk Purple Mum Bushes
Colored Animal Eyes
Marble or Stone Vase Filler
12” x 3/8” Wood Dowel
Chenille Stems & Bead Garland
Low-temp Glue Gun
Glue one of the 3” balls of STYROFOAM* inside Halloween gift box or take out container. Fill the remainder of space inside the box with marbles or stone vase filler for added weight and support.
Paint the wood dowel black. Let dry.
Glue the dowel into the ball of STYROFOAM* inside the Halloween gift box or take-out container. You may need to cut a hole in the top of the container for the dowel to stick into.
Pull the purple mum blossoms from the stems. Insert into other 3” ball to completely cover using low-temp glue to secure.
Glue eyeballs to the center of each mum blossom. Then glue the mum covered ball to the top of the dowel.
Embellish the dowel with bead garland and add chenille stem antennas to the top of the topiary.
Tip: Decorate a clay pot to use in place of gift box or take-out container.
Special thank you to Flora Craft for project idea. Find out more!
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
More Sonoran Living