Try out these appetizers and hors d'oeuvres to "wow" any holiday party.
Recipes for Sonoran Living
By Dennis Frazier, Cater Phoenix
4 slices cured meat such as Genoa
1 Tbsp. diced tomato, no seeds
1 Tbsp. diced fresh mozzarella
1 Tsp, chopped Fresh Basil
1 Tbsp. Boursin Cheese
Extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper as needed
1. Cut a radius slit in each slice of meat. Using that slit, roll each into a cone.
2. In a bowl mix, tomato, mozzarella, basil and a touch of olive oil and salt and pepper, taste, adjust seasoning as needed.
3. Using a piping bag, pipe a bit of Boursin into the bottom of each cone. Fill with tomato mix. Serve and enjoy
Surf and Turf
1 Filet mignon
1 Lobster Tail
1 Tbsp Cream Cheese
1 Tsp chopped chive, plus extra for garnish
1 slice of bread, cut into for pieces
Salt and pepper as needed
1. Slice filet mignon lengthwise. Tress with butchers twine to create a log. Season with salt and pepper and sear in a hot pan until golden. Allow to cool
2. Toast bread in oven until golden.
3. Poach Lobster tail in lightly salted water until just done. Allow to cool, remove from shell.
4. Mix cream cheese and chives together, Season and reserve.
5. To build, untie filet mignon and slice into a medallion. Do the same with the lobster tail. Place a slice of lobster on top of each toast. Add a small medallion of beef. Top with a dollop of chive cream cheese and garnish with remaining chives. Enjoy
Brie with Green Apple and Blackberry Syrup
1 Green Apple
1 Wedge of Brie, chilled
1/2 cup Seedless Blackberry Jam
2 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
1. Slice Baguette into 4 hors d' oeuvre size pieces. Toast in oven until golden
2. Peel green apple. Use a melon baller to make 4 apple balls. Soak in cold water.
3. Slice brie into 4 squares, each about 1 inch by 1 inch and 1/4 inch thick.
4. In a blender, combine blackberry jam and balsamic, process until smooth. Transfer to a squeeze bottle.
5. To build, place a square of brie on top of each toast. Place an apple ball on top of brie. Gently drizzle blackberry sauce on top of apple. Serve immediately.
Chef Dennis Fraizer can be reached at:
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.