Z'Tejas prepares two fall dishes using chilis and a unique cocktail.
Pacific Rockfish VeraCruz
7 oz white fish filet (seasoning to taste)
1 piece Chile Cornbread (separate recipe)
4 oz. Seasonal vegetable mix
Andouille VeraCruz sauce (separate recipe)
1 lime wedge
1. Coat belly side of fish with seasoning and place seasoned side down atop heated grill. Once fish is marked, can be removed and finished in pre-heated 350 degree oven and cooked through.
2. As fish is cooking place chile cornbread in oven to bake (recipe below)
3. As fish and cornbread is cooking, add vegetable medley to heated sauté pan. Season with salt and pepper and cook until softly wilted but not overcooked.
4. Begin plate up by placing heated cornbread on the left hand side of plate. Place finished fish atop cornbread. Top fish with sauce over the middle part of the filet. Finish by placing seasonal vegetables on plate.
5. Serve with lime wedge.
1 Cup Cornmeal
1 cup AP Flour
¼ cup Sugar
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
2/3 cup Yogurt, plain
¼ cup Corn Kernels
¼ cup Creamed Corn
1 cup Buttermilk
¼ cup Butter, melted
¼ cup diced Roasted Hatch Chiles, cleaned
1) Place all ingredients into mixing bowl and using whisk, mix until all ingredients are completely incorporated and mix resembles a batter like consistency. Using a square 9 X 9 baking pan, pour batter into pan. Place into a pre-heated 350° degree oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cornbread is completely cooked through. Once done, remove from oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve warm.
Chicken Crab Relleno
SENSITIVITY- Be sure chicken and polenta are completely cooled prior to making filling
8 roasted whole chilis - sliced lengthwise
8 oz diced Achiote Chicken, cooked, cooled down
1 lb Coconut Polenta, prepped (recipe below)
8 oz Crab Meat (blue crab)
8 oz Jack cheese, shredded
Directions: Place all ingredients into large mixing bowl. Using gloved hands, be sure to break up all polenta and incorporate all ingredients until evenly dispersed. Stuff rellenos and bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted.
Coconut Polenta Home Recipe
7 oz corn meal
2 - 14 oz cans coconut milk
¾ cup roasted corn kernels
2 tsp chipotle puree
½ tsp black pepper
2 tsp salt
2 oz melted butter
1. Place the corn meal & coconut milk in a 10 qt sauce pan - bring to a boil on a medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cook until thickened approximately 5 minutes - STIRRING constantly.
2. Add corn, chipotle and seasonings and cook additional 3 minutes- then add butter and whisk until completely incorporated.
3. Spray small sheet pan with pan spray and pour mix making sure to spread evenly to cover bottom of sheet pan equally. Place in walk-in and allow to completely cool down prior to utilizing in relleno stuffing.
Blackberry Tequila Tini:
1.25 oz Avion Reposado
.5 oz Frangelico liqueur
.75 oz lime juice
.5 oz agave nectar
1 slice of jalapeño
1 oz ginger ale
Muddle 2 blackberries and slice of jalapeño with agave nectar. Fill with ice and add Avion reposado tequila, frangelico, ginger ale and lime juice and shake well. Pour into martini glass and garnish with a lime wedge
Z'Tejas has four Valley locations in Tempe, Chandler, Scottsdale and Phoenix.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.