When the kids go back to school, it can be bittersweet. "Sweet" in that they will be back to learning, structure and social engagements. "Bitter" in that it's never easy to see them getting a year older. The time for parents seems to go too fast!
But, through the easy and inexpensive use of 'Printables,' parents can make the first day of school, lunches and their supplies special, showing the kids how much you care.
Heather Mellstrom, published creative artist/crafter and owner of Paper Princess Studio , says you do not have to be 'crafty' to do the printable projects seen in the video clip.
You simply have to have a computer and access to a printer, some scissors, glue or maybe a little ribbon or twine. Then, voila! In minutes you have a special something to create lunchtime love notes and more!
When you purchase printables they are emailed in a ready-to-print file which can put printed on your home computer or at an office supply store.
The key is that this kit is good for use all year long. From the start of school and back to school parties, all the way through the school year to keep organized. The kit will even provide you with easy ideas for teacher appreciation week and end-of-the-year parties.
1. Prep for the year
Print off and cut your favorite designs onto sticker paper from the collection and organize in a pencil box. You can keep these handy for rushed mornings when you need to write a last minute note to the teacher or label your child's new school supplies or projects.
2. Get Everyone Organized
Labels and Tag designs are versatile to label everything from notebooks and pencil boxes to books and school bags. Print these designs on full sheets of label paper and start tagging and labeling or print out notecards for a teacher gift. Great all year long!
3. Host a "back to school" party or playdate
Make an after-school playdate extra special by using the printable pennants to spell out a sweet message. Bake cupcakes and top with a printable cupcake topper with a letter for each child's first initial. Plan some fun and useful favors and treat the kids to fun new coloring supplies or books and tag them with the favor tags.
10 Back to School Printable Project Ideas:
1. Wrap a juice box with paper and tie with twine or ribbon and put in their lunch box.
2. Cut out the printable, tape to lollipop stick or pencil and stick in an apple. Place it on a child's plate for breakfast.
3. Print out the lunchbox love notes and have mom and dad write a good luck note for the first day of school.
4. Print out the 'This Belongs To' labels on full page envelope stickers and adhere to school supplies.
5. Use the 'printable' to print on fabric, instead of paper and make a bag as a gift for the teacher. Purchase those bags already made here.
6. Use the sealable bag toppers and staple to the top of lunchbox baggies and check the box to indicate the type of snack.
7. Use the letter printables to tape to the top of applesauce.
8. Print out the bookmarks and place in your child's lunchbox or slip it under their pillow overnight as a surprise when they wake up on the first day os school.
9. Adhere a picture of the 1st day of school to the paper and have the child dictate their thoughts about the 1st Day of School. Put it in their scrapbook.
10. Print the Milk Carton Snack Box and Template and fill with candy and give to your child when he gets home from school.
If you'd like to spoil your student with cake pops or school-themed cookies, you can learn to do them yourself and embelish them with printables!
Cakes by Cassie , seen in the video clip, offers inexpensive in-home classes and also does custom orders. Learn more about the class schedule , including classes to learn how to use fondant and make cake pops.
Share more of your pictures and ideas on on the Sonoran Living Facebook page.
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.