The weather is cooling down, that's now that you want to plant citrus, but also your winter bloom and vegetable.Rainfall:
Average: 0.7 inches
Record: 4.4 inches (1972) Temperature (degrees F):
Average High: 88.1 degrees
Lowest High: 56 degrees (1959)
Record High: 107 degrees (1980)
Average Low: 60.8 degrees
Highest Low: 82 degrees (1987)
Record Low: 34 degrees (1900,1911) Now’s the time to:
- A great month to do your planting, the nurseries are loaded with container grown plants.
- It is also the right time to divide perennials
- Time to sow wild flowers.
- Plant impatiens in shady, frost protected area of the gardenWhat to sow:
African Daisies, Alyssum, Aster, Bachelor Button, Bells of Ireland, Calendula, California Poppy, Candytuft, Carnation, Clarkia, Delphinium, Forget-Me-Not, Gaillardia, Godetia, Gypsophila, Hollyhocks, Larkspur, Lupines, Nasturnium, Nicotiana, Pansy, Petunia, Phlox, Pinks, Poppy, Salpiglossis, Scabiosa, Shasta Daisy, Snapdragon, Sweet Peas, Sweet Sultan, Sweet William, Verbena, Viola Bulbs:
You can plant bulbs that have low chilling requirements (they don't need a cold period before starting to grow):
Amaryllis, Anemone, Calla, Daffodil, Iris, Muscari, Oxalis, Ranunculus, Sparaxis (harlequin flower), Watsonia
Put bulbs that need chilling in your fridge for 6 to 8 weeks:
Crocus, Hyacinth, TulipIn the vegetable garden:
- Plant artichokes, beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, garlic, lettuce, peas, radishes.Grass:
- The nights are getting cool enough, it is time to sow winter grass. If you don't do it, fertilize again your bermuda, to keep it green as long as possible.
- Apply one inch of water per week to Bermuda lawns
- A light application of potassium on Bermuda in the fall will enable it to come out of dormancy in the spring with greater vigor.
- Overseed established Bermuda grass lawns from mid October through mid November for a green winter lawn.Roses:
- Resume full fertilizing of established roses as the weather cools
- Watch for second season of powdery mildew
January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December