Average: 0.7 inches
Record: 3.6 inches (1905) Temperature (degrees F):
Average High: 74.9 degrees
Lowest High: 40 degrees (1919)
Record High: 96 degrees (1924)
Average Low: 48.9 degrees
Highest Low: 71 degrees (1988)
Record Low: 27 degrees (1931) Now’s the time to:
- Get ready for freeze warnings that can happen any time from the very end of November until mid February
- Citrus start being ready to pick.
- When the nights start cooling down, sow winter grass (annual rye grass) if you want your lawn to stay green.
- Plant spring bulbs tulip, daffodils, hyacinths, muscaris. What to sow:
African Daisies, Alyssum, Bachelor Button, Bells of Ireland, Calendula, California Poppy, Candytuft, Carnation, Clarkia, Delphinium, Forget-Me-Not, Gaillardia, Godetia, Gypsophila, Hollyhocks, Larkspur, Lupines, Nicotiana, Pansy, Petunia, Phlox, Pinks, Poppy, Salpiglossis, Scabiosa, Snapdragon, Sweet Peas, Sweet Sultan, Sweet William, Verbena, Viola In the vegetable garden:
- Plant Seeds: Beets, Bok Choy, Broccoli, Cabbage, Chinese Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Chard, Collard Greens, Endive, Kale, Kohlrabi, Lettuce (Head & Leaf), Mustard, Onions (Bulb & Green), Peas, Radishes, Rutabagas, Spinach, Turnips
- Plant Transplants: Asparagus, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Chinese Cabbage, Cauliflower, Chard, Kohlrabi, Lettuce (Head & Leaf)
- Watch for insect and pest problems, identify and manage early to prevent damage.Grass:
- For a green winter lawn, over seed established Bermuda grass lawns from mid October through mid November.
- After the first mowing, fertilize winter lawns with a high phosphate fertilizer like superphosphate, triple superphosphate, or a complete fertilizer that is 20% phosphorous or more by weight. Ammonium phosphate (16-20-0) is another option. Follow the application rates and directions on the label. Things Not To Do:
- Do not increase opportunities for fungal disease on turf by over watering or watering at night.
- DO NOT OVER WATER which will result in root rots. Allow the soil to dry out between watering.
January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December