You can expect possible frosts until mid-February, but the growing season has begun. It’s a quick season, so don’t waste time.
Average: 0.7 inches
Record: 4.7 inches(1905)
Temperature (degrees F):
Average High: 70.7 degrees
Lowest High: 46 degrees (1899, 1903)
Record High: 92 degrees (1921, 1986)
Average Low: 44.7 degrees
Highest Low: 65 degrees (1996)
Record Low: 24 degrees (1899, 1993)
Note: Rainfall and temperatures vary widely within the valley depending upon elevation and microclimate.
April 1st- April 14th
- Weed prevention with pre-emergence herbicide.
- Complete rose and deciduous tree pruning.
- Start spring planting.
After the 15th:
- Start fertilizing: use a calendar to keep track of your fertilization program.
- Start planting frost tender plants and shrub.
Lawn: After the first mowing, fertilize winter lawns with a high phosphate fertilizer like superphosphate, triple superphosphate, or a complete fertilizer that is 20% phosphorous or more by weight. Ammonium phosphate (16-20-0) is another option. Follow the application rates and directions on the label.
What to sow:
African Daisies, Ageratum, Alyssum, Bachelor Button, Basil, Carnation, Clarkia, Delphinium, Everlastings, Gaillardia, Globe Amaranth, Gloriosa Daisy, Godetia, Gypsophila, Helichrisum, Hollyhocks, Larkspur, Lupines, Nasturnium, Nicotiana, Pansy, Petunia, Phlox, Pinks, Poppy, Salpiglossis, Scabiosa, Shasta Daisy, Snapdragon, Sweet Peas, Sweet Sultan, Sweet William, Verbena, Viola
In the vegetable garden:
- Prepare your garden for spring planting.
- Plant Beets, Bok Choy, Carrots, Chard, Collard Greens, Corn, Cucumbers, Leaf Lettuce, Melons (Cantaloupe, Muskmelon, Watermelon), Mustard, Green Onions, Peas, Potatoes, Radishes, Spinach, Summer Squash, Sunflowers, Turnips.
- Transplant Artichokes (Globe & Jerusalem), Asparagus, Chard, Kohlrabi, Lettuce, Onion Sets, Peppers, Tomatoes
- Finish pruning roses by the middle of the month.
- Transplant bare root roses.
- Begin fertilizing established roses with granular fertilizers about the middle of the month. Remember to water the day before application and the day after.
Copyright 2008 The E.W. Scripps Co. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Did You Hear?
A man who was trying to protect his wife from a home run ball got a face full of beer for his effort.
Jim Heston, an American guesthouse operator in Cambodia, has lived a life in denim and has the photos to prove it. There were the dungarees he wore as a little boy, the dark bell-bottoms he had on for a hike up Japan's Mount Fuji, and the Levis straight-leg 501 jeans he's stayed with for the past 36 years.
A first edition copy of "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" that contains author J.K. Rowling's notes and original illustrations is going on sale in a charity auction.