It's the first family gathering of the holiday season and you have your menu prepared with exactly what you are going to serve, but perhaps you forgot the drinks. Your guests will enjoy sipping on some of these seasonal cocktails while they wait for the big meal, during the meal and afterward, when they are enjoying their pumpkin pie.
* Pumpkin Nog - This holiday drink with a Thanksgiving twist is the perfect cocktail to make for a large crowd. Created by mixologist, Tony Abou-Ganim, this festive pumpkin drink combines Southern Comfort bourbon, 12 jumbo eggs, five cups of whole milk, half a pound of superfine sugar, one teaspoon of vanilla extract, half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon and half a cup of pumpkin puree.
Beat it all together with a mixer, pour into a punch bowl and top with ground cinnamon. This creamy drink will serve 15 guests and you won't be stuck all day making cocktails for everyone since it is self serve.
* Apple Cider Sparkle - A refreshing and festive drink, the apple cider sparkle is the perfect drink to have a toast with at the beginning of the meal. Take six cups of apple cider, 2 cups cranberry/raspberry cocktail, one bottle of champagne or sparkling wine and half a cup of lemon juice. For a non-alcoholic option, use sparkling grape juice instead.
* Café Royale - For a twist on your after-dinner coffee, serve the café royale. Place a sugar cube at the bottom of a demitasse cup (a cup used for espresso) and pour hot coffee over it until it is almost full. Take 1 oz of bourbon, and gently float it on top. As an added wow factor, light the bourbon on fire and stir with a spoon to put out the flame – a warm and comforting drink to sip on whether you have dessert or not.
* Rosy Cranberry Cider - If you've had your fair share of apple cider this season and can't bare to take another sip during the Thanksgiving festivities, try Martha Stewart's rosy cranberry cider for a change. Simmer orange juice from two oranges, orange peel, two quarts of cranberry juice, four cinnamon sticks, two pieces of fresh ginger sliced and sugar to taste.
* Pumpkin Martini - When you're having guests who want a sophisticated drink, bring out the pumpkin martini. Mix equal parts of Bailey's Irish cream, Disaronno Amaretto and Goldschlager chilled and strained into a fancy glass.
Whether you serve one of these cocktails or all, you'll be sure to please everyone who comes to celebrate Thanksgiving with you this holiday season.
Copyright 2010 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Did You Hear?
An arrest warrant has been issued for supposedly-dead rapper Tim Dog, who is accused of faking his death to avoid paying a woman $19,000.
Charles Ramsey, who helped rescue the three Cleveland women held captive by Ariel Castro, will get free McDonald's from his local fast food favorite for the next year, a McDonald's spokeswoman said.
A group of researchers has developed a map that shows how discriminatory a given county is based on the number of insulting tweets sent from that area.